There is one thing I want from Org-mode more than anything: the ability to record the time I spend on various activities – even unplanned ones – and then see a summary of this time at the end of the week.
Luckily, this is actually really simple. I won’t go through the details of how to install or set-up Org-mode; that information is easy to read through at its rightful place. Instead, it’s the key time-recording feature which I’ll briefly touch on here.
How to start:
- Open up Emacs (not got Emacs? See the GNU web site or download it straight from the GNU FTP site)
- Start Org-mode by opening a .org file:
C-x C-f ~/org/work.org
- Start the clock on any item:
C-c C-x C-i
- Leave it running for a minute or two and then stop the clock:
C-c C-x C-o
- Now go into Agenda view:
C-c a a
- When in Agenda view (commonly this opens in a second frame), just hit R:
Et voila! You should be able to see a summary of the time you have booked on your activities.